Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Van Gogh and the Sunflowers

Yesterday I was looking at the pictures in an Art book. I can't tell it for sure, but I think my dearest one is Van Gogh. There are two of his paintings there, "Self portrait with bandaged ears" (something like this) and " Sunflowers". I love " Sunflowers ". Can you feel the irony in Sunflowers?
It's as if he could talk to you, even being more than one hundred years after his death. You can feel him saying: " Life is so ironic. Everything dies. Even the most beautiful and bright sunflower, the symbol of the sun and the happiness. Everything perishes. Refined irony." That painting is so... ironic. It's so much like the circle of Life, the return and the re-start, all over again... the madness we live and don't know... the beauty and the death, living side by side... and we walking through it, like sunflowers... and we getting old and fading, like the sunflowers... you can see that the light is dimming in the painting... for me, it gives me the feeling that the day is in the end, as a metaphore for the end of life. The end of the sunflowers' lives like the end of a man's life. The afternoon. Maybe that is why it is so sad. You know that will never come back again.

And, in "self portrait with bandaged ears", he looks at you as if he was laughing at your shock, at your surprise to see his bandage covering the ear he ripped off. Why did he do it? An access of madness? Or did he want to show something that our eyes couldn't see? Maybe both. And he was there, laughing at us, at our non-understanding of what he did. He was looking through you. I feel as if he had a sarcastic smile hidden in his lips, something about to explode but that wouldn't do it.... as if he was looking at you and saying: " you will never know... you will never understand... you will never see it..." . He has madness in his eyes, but at the same time, it feels like he had also a deep understanding of human souls... maybe i'm the crazy one.
But when I look into his eyes, in the self portrait, I can feel it. I can feel how sarcastically he saw humanity, and how lonely it would be for him. Did he love? I don't know. Did he feel things he shouldn't feel in the society of his time? I don't know. Was he lonely? I guess so.
I wonder how we can describe madness. I think there is somehow a certain kind of strange and sad beauty in the ways a mad mind works.

I don't know, man... I just can't look at a Van Gogh's and not to feel anything. It is as if he talked to me, straight to my heart, and revelead he understood the pain and the darkness that the human soul can carry, under the bright cover of the good manners and the beauty of the youth and all the things that are in the surface. And that we don't want to see what is inside - the dead sunflowers. Maybe that is what drove him into madness.

But still, it is deep, sensitive, beautiful.
Yeah, I think he is my dearest one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home